Sunday, June 5, 2011

Top Ten First Games

Some games stick out in my mind as the best games I have played, but it is a certain few games that really addicted me to gaming. This is the list of the ten best games/ most addicting games out of my first games.
(For clarity I mean these are my favorites out of all the games I originally started playing.)

Number Ten: Paperboy



It was simple, yet nearly impossible to beat. I loved watching the crazy things that were on the road. I also loved trying my best at delivering papers. The gameplay was simple, but for a six-year-old it was a challenging game to beat. It was fun yet annoying, but I found myself coming back again and again until I was able to beat the first level.

Number Nine: Starcraft



The original Starcraft was amazing and I was hooked to this sci-fi action RTS immediately. Though I was unable to beat many campaign levels without cheats it was amazing. I loved the storyline and the graphics. I also loved the idea of an RTS (Starcraft was my second to Age of Empires II). I loved it, until I realized how bad I was at multiplayer and then stopped playing. I was one of those guys waiting for years for SC2.

Number Eight: Super Mario Bros 3



My first Mario game was also one of the most memorable ones. It was a fun game in which my whole family and I played. I emerged the best and logged hours in playtime. I eventually ended up fighting Bowser in the end, and I won. The first NES game I ever beat alone. This game was so much fun that I didn't care about the lame graphics or lack of a real story. (Then again I was six at the time.) This is when I married Nintendo.

Number Seven: Project S-11



A simple game in which you pilot a plane and shoot aliens that come at you. I received it for easter and had the hardest time beating the first boss. After I trudged through each level one at a time I ended up winning. I then kept playing, getting better and better. I loved it and the music. It was soon a habit to play and led to more and more addiction to games.

Number Six: Sonic the Hedgehog 2



My first Sonic game was impossibly hard. I put the right imput but never seemed to get the desired results. Wait... that was the case for all my GameGear games. Whatever. I loved it enough to play again an again. The joy I had beating the first level and even making it to the second boss was amazing. (Yes, I used to be the worst gamer ever.) I hid in my bed late at night and played, lucky for me the battery guzzling GameGear had a luminated screen. I only stopped playing when I got my Game Boy Color.

Number Five: Mario Party



Though I never owned Mario Party I always played at my friend's house. He was DK and I was Yoshi. We would play for the entire time, and I always seemed to lose. (Little did I know that he had his handicap set so high I never stood a chance.) But the game was fun, and the fun it brought made other games seem fun as well.

Number Four: Mario Kart 64



My same friend had Mario Kart 64. I was MUCH better at MK 64. The ability to actually beat other players for the first time made this game one of my favorites. Also, the comical value, entertainment, and replay value made it a great game.

Number Three: Pokemon Blue Version



Yup, the infamous Pokemon! As a game I was hooked and spent the most hours playing any game asside from Fallout 3 (which is a fairly new game in comparison). It was my second Game Boy Color game and the one I logged the most time playing. It introduced an era of addiction I have yet to overcome. This game was my drugs as a ten-year-old kid.

Number Two: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis



Though my father played most of the game FOR me (I'll admit it, I really sucked and he did all the real work) I loved it. I LOVED Indiana Jones as a kid (I dressed up as Indy for fun almost everyday) and the fact this game was based on him made it so much cooler. The storyline was exhilarating, the graphics fairly decent, and the point-and-click awesomeness was well, awesome! Tons of fun, and way better than Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!

Number One: The Dig



I guess I was a sucker for Lucasarts at an early age. This was the first in-depth game I completed. It was complex, quite complicated, yet the controls (as a PaC adventure) were simple enough for a seven-year-old to understand. I played through for hours on end and eventually ended up winning. I tested both endings, which meant more than one playthroughs. I liked the graphics (not as good as Indy for the people but amazing backdrops) and absolutely loved the soundtrack. I still love the soundtrack, but what got me most was the sci-fi storyline by Orson Scott Keyes. Yup, he wrote it. I also loved the main character: Boston Lowe. He made the game fun. Only one problem: That Mother-F$%$ING Turtle Puzzle! DAMN YOU TURTLE PUZZLE!

Remember, these were MY first games and some of the ones that left the largest impacts on me as a gamer. What were your top ten first games? Feel free to comment below!

- Neezo

2 comments:

  1. 10. Mario 64
    9. Tetris
    8. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
    7. Rampage
    6. Pokemon Stadium
    5. Pokemon Red
    4. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    3. Sonic Chaos (also on the gamegear. I used the old adapter mechanism and played it nonstop!)
    2. Megaman X (though I usually just watched my bro play it)
    1. Mario Paint

    ReplyDelete