Monday, May 30, 2011

Top 5 Earworms

As we play video games, certain songs just get stuck in our heads. And they won't leave. Ever. Sometimes it's okay, because the songs are friggin' awesome. Here is a list of my top five video game songs that get stuck in our heads that ARE friggin' awesome:

5. Searching for Friends (FFVI)

What can I say? The airship song in FFVI is probably the best airship theme for the Final Fantasy series ever made. Its music connotes hope, friendship, and freedom. The synthesized woman's voice in the middle of the song almost brings tears to my eyes. When you're saving the world from an evil maniac dressed as a clown atop a giant tower, nothing beats doing it to this song.


4. Main Theme (Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

This song is simply breathtaking, and quite literally, breathtaking. It crescendos into as much as five different parts, each with its own personality, its own voice. When you're fighting baddies, its tones suggest evil or mischievous. When you're riding across open fields, a voice hums a hollow tone of awesomeness. Much an improvement to the Ocarina song, this one is very thanked for being stuck in my head.



3. Fight! Trainer Battle (Pokemon Black/White)

Recently coming out for the DS, Pokemon Black and White is the rehashed world of Pokemon, where new journeys are to be had. This song, as well as many others in the Pokemon world, for better or worse, gets stuck in my head. But this one is exhilarating. I simply love it. All the songs of this generation are very pleasing to the ear, and enjoyable even as earworms.

2. Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon player phase 1

Addictive as always, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon also has good music. Such is the music of the player phase, in which you select which actions your characters take. It has a very enriching, adventurous tone to it, and though a little repetitive, it energizes me in whatever I'm doing when it's in my head. Honorable mention: Castlevania Symphony of the Night: Dracula's Castle. Look it up!

1. Kirby Super Star: Staff Roll

I feel very happy about the future when this song plays in my head. All my cares simply vanish. It bespeaks a slow, gleeful paradise in which all beings, great or small, are happy and satisfied. Yes, this is probably the best staff roll for any Super Nintendo game. I feel honored for it to be stuck in my head.

2 comments:

  1. There are so many songs that get stuck in my head and I find myself humming in certain circumstances. The original Pokemon Trainer battle theme, the Fire Emblem Theme, Sonic's theme from SA2, and many many more.
    Nice selections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I always get the Portal end songs stuck in my head. Still alive.

    ReplyDelete